Feeding your Indoor Cat
Indoor cats are usually less active and more prone to weight problems. Consider feeding your indoor cat food specifically tailored to her lifestyle. If you want to know the best cat food for indoor cats, there are a few dietary requirements you should look for when considering the different cat food diets.
The diet of an indoor cat
Keeping slim and lean is a major problem for the indoor cat. Typically, a desexed cat living in a stable, warm but restricted space will have less opportunity for exercise. This makes it is much harder for indoor cats to retain their natural shape than outdoor cats.
It is important indoor cats aren’t overfed, which can lead to obesity. Over-feeding is especially widespread amongst owners who like to leave food out for their cat during the day particularly if they are at work.
You only need to put out a measured amount of food which meets your cat’s energy needs and nothing more.
It’s easier to see the effects of a diet on an indoor cat because you are more likely to spend time with them. For example, the beauty of the coat, bright eyes, digestibility of the food, and the smell and nature of faeces in the litter box are all useful pointers as to the effectiveness of the cat’s diet.
There are a range of commercially-produced cat foods developed for the specific needs of indoor cats. Look out for the ones that contain:
- High levels of protein and low in fat. These help to make sure calories are converted into maintaining lean condition as opposed to fat.
- A controlled balance of minerals, which minimises the risk of urinary problems.
- High levels of indigestible fibre. This means lower calorie content as well as helping to ease swallowed hair along the digestive system and avoiding the formation of hair balls.
- Special fermentable fibre, which reduces litter box odours by optimising gut bacteria.
- Highly digestible ingredients to help form small firm faeces which are easily cleaned.
PURINA brands for indoor cats
PURINA offers formulas specifically tailored to meet the needs of cats that live predominantly indoors.
Supercoat Pro Plan Friskies Purina ONE