It can be daunting bringing home a new pet, especially if it’s your first time! But don’t stress, knowing the basics will have your cat purring in no time.
Making your home purr-fect
Bringing home a cat is the start of a long and happy life together. Below are some tips on welcoming the latest addition to your family:
- Choose a name – be creative and have fun!
- Serve petfood and water every day in clean plastic, ceramic or stainless steel dishes.
- Make sure your cat’s litter tray is as long and wide as possible. Cats are generally happiest when they have a choice of at least two trays, which are easily accessible.
- Attach an ID tag and bell to your cat so you know when she’s trying to get out! Make sure her collar allows for a ‘quick release’, in case her head gets caught on a branch or similar. Also speak with your vet about microchip insertion in case your cat gets lost.
- Choose a bed for your cat. There are number of beds in all sorts of shapes, sizes and materials available in stores, but even a closed cardboard box with soft bedding and a hole cut into one side will do. Bear in mind, however, that your new pet may prefer your favourite sweater!
- Choose a variety of sturdy cat toys. Dangle them from a string tied to a stick and watch your pet perform all sorts of complicated gymnastics, before putting them away again when playtime is over. Always check the toys for damage after each play session.
- Cats don’t need to be bathed on a regular basis, but brushing or combing your cat’s coat is a good habit.
- Find a vet that you can trust. This relationship may last 15 to 20 years.
- To prevent damage to carpets and furniture, provide scratching posts of sisal rope or horizontal strips of corrugated cardboard. Position a post near each of your cat’s favourite resting places.
- Finally, take lots of photos as your new pet will grow up very quickly. We'd love to see them on the Purina Australia Facebook and Instagram page!
Owning a cat can be a rewarding and wonderful experience. Remember to stay informed about the needs of your companion, to ensure a happy and healthy bond.
About the Purina PetCare Advice Centre
The Purina PetCare Advice Centre brings together a team with in-depth knowledge, experience and special interests with the skills to advise about health and nutrition, behaviour, training, socialisation, as well as basic first aid for your cat or dog. Our team of dedicated pet lovers can also provide information about Purina products and services to help you give your pet the best possible care. If you've got a question about any aspect of pet care, then ask the Purina PetCare Advice team.