For companionship, stress-relief and general wellbeing, getting a cat could be one of the best moves you ever make.
The purr-fect pet
There’s no doubt about it, cats make great pets. They’re beautiful to look at, loving and playful. For a cat lover, there can be no better pleasure in life than spending an evening with your feline friend curled on your lap, listening to that content, rhythmical purr.
The calming effects of pet-ownership are not just anecdotal – they’ve been well-researched in the last few years, and studies have shown that pet owners are generally healthier and happier than non-pet owners.
- Cats provide a sense of emotional wellbeing because of the unconditional love they give us.
- Cat ownership helps people recover more quickly from emotional trauma, such as bereavement.
- Pet owners generally have lower blood pressure than non-pet owners.
- People recover faster from illnesses and have a higher survival rate after a heart attack if they have a pet.
- Pet owners generally have a more robust immune system, helping them to stave off illnesses and take fewer days off work as a result.
- Pet-owning children also have fewer days off school due to sickness.
And that’s not to mention the fact that cats are great fun!
Most remain playful all their lives, even though some like to pretend they are very serious and serene at heart. Full of life, with a little touch of the 'wild' about them, cats are enigmatic – and guaranteed to make any house a home.
About the Purina PetCare Advice Centre
The Purina PetCare Advice Centre brings together a team with in-depth knowledge, experience and special interests with the skills to advise about health and nutrition, behaviour, training, socialisation, as well as basic first aid for your cat or dog. Our team of dedicated pet lovers can also provide information about Purina products and services to help you give your pet the best possible care. If you've got a question about any aspect of pet care, then ask the Purina PetCare Advice team.