Show me more about:

This helps us show you the most relevant information for your pet. You can change your preference at any time using the buttons at the top of the page.

Show me more about:

Dog Registration
"If your dog goes astray and is taken to a vet, pound or shelter by a ranger or a member of the community, we can contact you quickly. "

How to register your dog

Why Register Your Dog?

Australia has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world. For most of us our dogs are our friends and companions, they are much loved members of our families. Unfortunately, there are a small number of people who do not look after their animals responsibly. These animals often become a problem for the community.

If your dog goes astray and is taken to a vet, pound or shelter by a ranger or a member of the community, we can contact you quickly.

How to Register Your Dog?

  1. Microchip your animal

    Dog owners in NSW are legally required to microchip and register their pets. Puppies must be micro-chipped before they are 12 weeks old, before being sold or given away. They must then be registered before they are 6 months old.

    The microchip is only about the size of a grain of rice and needs to be inserted by an accredited microchip implanter (between the shoulder blades, these can migrate with time). This procedure is almost painless and your pet won’t be harmed.

    Remember Microchipping alone does not register your animal.

  2. Complete the Lifetime Registration Form

    This registration form can be found from your local government website on Companion Animals or at Councils Customer Service Counter.

  3. Submit your application to Council

    Take your application form, proof of sterilisation (e.g. desexing certificate), microchip details, pensioner details or membership to a recognised breeders organisation (if applying for a discount), together with the relevant fees to you local council. Fees will vary for different councils, desexing is considered part of responsible pet ownership and therefore discounted.

  4. Certificate of Lifetime Registration

    After you have paid your registration fee, Council will update the companion Animal Register and forward a Certificate of Lifetime Registration to you.

  5. Maintain your details in the Register

    If you move, or sell the animal be sure to notify your local Council so the register can be updated. Forms for Change of Address and Change of Ownership can be found on your local government website for companion animals.

About Dr Joanne Righetti

Dr Joanne RighettiDr Joanne Righetti is an animal behaviourist, educating the public and professionals in all aspects of the human–animal relationship. Her background is in zoology, with a PhD in animal behaviour and a counselling diploma – qualifications which enable her to work with all sorts of animals – including the human variety! Joanne likes to help pet owners understand their pet's behaviour and solve any pet behaviour problems. She also consults to a variety of organisations including non-profit organisations, commercial companies and councils and is involved in a variety of media including regular spots on radio. Joanne is an honorary associate of the Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, University of Sydney. Find out more about Joanne at

Last updated: 24 April 2015 at 04:55 PM

Share with Friends:Print: