Christmas is often a busy time of year for people, it can sometimes also be a time of year that our dogs can feel stressed with all the excitement happening in the house. The home can be unusually busy with unfamiliar faces, different smells and sounds as well as people rushing around in a flurry of festiveness. Some dogs can seem to love all the action but some, especially older dogs, can be a bit overwhelmed by it all.
A good plan to help your dog cope with the season can be to set up a quiet place where your dog can relax away from the happenings of the household. This quiet time can also be the perfect opportunity to reward your dog with a treat designed to keep them occupied such as the RUFFS Hide and Snack. By providing treats designed for dogs instead of leftover human food you will also help prevent potential illness caused by fatty or toxic foods and help keep your dog’s waistline in check.
When entertaining, there’s no reason why your dog has to miss out because not every party guest may love having your pooch around as much as you do. When entertaining your friends you can provide your dog with entertainment of their own to keep them occupied and their mind off the party. The TOTALCARE Stuff n Tuff is designed to mentally challenge your dog and treats can be hidden inside to encourage your dog to use their brain to work out how to how retrieve them.
Suggestions for using the Stuff n Tuff include:
- Your pet should be supervised at all times when using a toy. When first introducing the Stuff n Tuff to your dog show him/her how to use it by making it simple – once your dog gets the idea you can make it more challenging.
- The Large Stuff and Tuff is the perfect size to hold a RUFFS Hide and Snack treat – simply slide a Hide and Snack halfway into the middle of the Stuff and Tuff and watch your dog work out how to retrieve it. There are three different Hide and Snack flavours to keep your dog coming back for more.
- Pop a RUFFS Trick stick halfway inside the medium Stuff n Tuff to create a challenging food puzzle.
- Peanut butter smeared on the sides is great for getting your dog investigating all the hidey-holes of the Stuff n Tuff.
- Hide your dogs favourite dog food in the middle or bone shaped openings.
- You can also fill the Stuff n Tuff with a small amount of wet food and serve immediately or freeze for a cooling treat on hot days.
- Remember a little treat goes a long way, when used correctly, dog treats can form part of a healthy canine daily diet and routine. Treats can be offered regularly to dogs but care should be taken to ensure your dog is not overfed.
About the Purina PetCare Advice Centre
The Purina PetCare Advice Centre brings together a team with in-depth knowledge, experience and special interests with the skills to advise about health and nutrition, behaviour, training, socialisation, as well as basic first aid for your cat or dog. Our team of dedicated pet lovers can also provide information about Purina products and services to help you give your pet the best possible care. If you've got a question about any aspect of pet care, then ask the Purina PetCare Advice team.