Beneful is a high-quality, nutritious food enjoyed by millions of dogs every day. However, you may have heard that a class action lawsuit was recently filed in the USA.
The Beneful Dry Dog Food you buy in Australia is manufactured in Blayney, in the central west of New South Wales, The US lawsuit has no implications for Australia.
As pet owners ourselves, our priority is the health and well-being of the millions of dogs who enjoy Beneful. We take these allegations very seriously and stand by our product, which is backed by Purina's strict quality controls and comprehensive food safety program.
Unfortunately, in the USA class action suits are common these days. They are not indicative of a product issue. In fact, Purina in the US has faced two such suits in the past with similar allegations. Both were found to be baseless and were subsequently dismissed by the courts.
Adding to the confusion, social media outlets can be a source of false or incomplete information, as many other brands have also experienced.
We at Purina want you, our valued customers, to know that this lawsuit is baseless; and that you can continue to feel confident feeding your dogs our food. We stand committed to our products and your pets. We encourage you to contact us at any time with any questions or 1800 738 238.
Where is your Beneful® dog food products produced?
The Beneful® Dry dog food you buy in Australia are produced at our Nestlé Purina manufacturing facility at Blayney in the NSW central west. The factory has on-site quality assurance laboratories and staff who are dedicated to monitoring our comprehensive food safety program and ensure product quality and safety.
The Beneful® Medleys are manufactured in the United States of America. Beneful® in the US meets the standards of the US FDA, the USDA, and relevant state laws, as well as other regulations which also apply to human food.
How does Purina® ensure the quality of its products?
The quality and safety of our products are our top priorities, and our quality control procedures are among the strictest in the industry.
• We maintain strict standards for buying, storing and processing all the ingredients used in Purina® pet foods. Every supplier of ingredients for Purina® pet food must meet stringent standards for ingredient specification, product safety, sanitation and good manufacturing practices. Our quality assurance standards are among the strictest in the pet food industry.
• We have a meticulous quality assurance program for every incoming load of ingredients. We have ingredient specialists at each of our pet food manufacturing facilities, who are trained to sample and analyse incoming ingredients. Our grain testing program includes testing grains for aflatoxins and helps ensure only high-quality grains are used in our products. This testing is part of our comprehensive food safety and HACCP programs
• We have a sophisticated tracking system in place which ensures that we know where the ingredients go, from the time they arrive at our plants, to their inclusion in finished products and through to retailers.
• Our products are produced under strict processing standards to ensure high quality is maintained in our products.
• As well, pet foods are highly regulated products. In Australia, Beneful is subject to the high standards of the Pet Food Industry Association of Australia (PFIAA). We manufacture our products to AS5812:2011 Aust Standard for the manufacture and marketing of Pet Food. This is also required for export, complying to ISO 22000 food Satety certification and HACCP. Beneful in the US meets the standards of the US FDA, the USDA, and relevant state laws, as well as other regulations which also apply to human food.
Is there any truth to the online rumours that Beneful® is making dogs in the US sick?
Beneful® is occasionally the subject of social media-driven misinformation – as are other pet foods. The incredible power of the Internet sometimes spreads false information. On-line postings often contain false, unsupported and misleading allegations that cause undue concern and confusion.
The truth is that Beneful® is a high quality, nutritious food that millions of dogs enjoy every day. In fact, in 2014, nearly 1.5 billion Beneful® meals were served in the US to the millions and millions of happy, healthy dogs who enjoy and thrive on this food. Consumers can continue to feed Beneful® to their dogs with complete confidence.
What is propylene glycol? Is it used in Beneful?
Beneful – like all our products - is formulated with the correct balance of ingredients, each with a specific purpose. Propylene glycol is not used in the Australian Beneful recipe.
In the US recipe, propylene glycol is used to help keep the semi-moist kibbles soft and moist. It is approved as a food additive in human food and in feed for animals, except cats, in the U.S., Canada and the European Union.
Propylene glycol is used safely in animal feed, except for cats, as well as in human foods, such as cake mixes, salad dressings, soft drinks, popcorn, food colouring, fat-free ice cream and sour cream.