Teaching your dog to “lie down” is another all-important command for your dog to learn.
How to teach “Down”
Remember, “Down” is the command to get your dog to lie down. Don’t confuse him by saying "Down" if you want him to get off the sofa. Use "Off" instead.
- Hold a treat in your hand with a bit sticking out so your dog can see it.
- Show it to your dog, then place your hand on the floor. Your dog will try every which way to get at the treat.
- Eventually, he will lie down. The moment he does, press your clicker and treat.
- Keep at it, and when he understands that your hand on the floor means you want him to lie down add the command "Down" when he does the action.
- With practice, he will go down on command, without the treat.
Teaching basic commands is an important way to create communication between you and your dog.
About the Purina PetCare Advice Centre
The Purina PetCare Advice Centre brings together a team with in-depth knowledge, experience and special interests with the skills to advise about health and nutrition, behaviour, training, socialisation, as well as basic first aid for your cat or dog. Our team of dedicated pet lovers can also provide information about Purina products and services to help you give your pet the best possible care. If you've got a question about any aspect of pet care, then ask the Purina PetCare Advice team.