Being prepared for little accidents is an important part of caring for your dog. Just as with ourselves, having a well-stocked first aid kit at the ready will help you deal with an emergency. We recommend keeping a Dog First Aid Kit handy. Make sure that everyone in the family knows where it is. This kit should be clearly labelled and easy to carry.
Items to consider keeping in or near your pack include:
- The phone number of your veterinary and the number of your local Emergency Afterhours hospital (If you are unsure if there is a Afterhours vet in your area just ask your vet). If your dog has an accident, you don't want to waste precious minutes looking for the phone number.
- Photocopies of your pets medical records and a copy of their microchip/ identification paperwork.
- If your dog needs to take medication we suggest to keep supply of their medication in the kit (Remember, medications need to be rotated out of your First Aid kit—otherwise they may go bad or become useless).
- Muzzle that fits your dog – an injured and frightened animal may bite
- Blunt-ended scissors
- Bandages (2.5cm and 5cm wide) - you can ask your vet for these as products designed for dogs are more suitable than human products.
- Gauze rolls and pads
- Adhesive tape.
- Sterile eye wash and eye lubricant (available at your vet clinic)
- Saline water to wash out any wounds
- Sterile water-based lubricant (such as KY® Jelly) – helps hold fur away from wound
- An old towel or blanket
It can also be a good idea to have a supplementary kit to keep in your car. Although being prepared is a great idea, remember that if your dog has any illness or injury must you must consult your vet.
About the Purina PetCare Advice Centre
The Purina PetCare Advice Centre brings together a team with in-depth knowledge, experience and special interests with the skills to advise about health and nutrition, behaviour, training, socialisation, as well as basic first aid for your cat or dog. Our team of dedicated pet lovers can also provide information about Purina products and services to help you give your pet the best possible care. If you've got a question about any aspect of pet care, then ask the Purina PetCare Advice team.